As we all continue to do our part to slow the community spread of Coronavirus, many of us have found ourselves looking for ways to stay entertained while social distancing from others. Below are some resources for the whole family.
E-learning and Coursework
- Scholastic’s free “Learn at Home” program offers three hours of classes per day with up to four weeks of instruction and does not require sign-up or printing. Click here to access the “Learn at Home” program.
- Khan Academy, a free online educational platform, offers daily learning schedules and content for students from pre-K to twelfth grade to follow along from home. Click here to access the Khan Academy resources.
Virtual Field Trips
Zoos and Aquariums:
- Watch the beluga whales, puffins, and sea otters play on the Georgia Aquarium webcams. Click here to view the Georgia Aquarium webcams.
- See what the penguins, apes, koalas, and more are up to at the San Diego Zoo on their live webcams. Click here to view the San Diego Zoo webcams.
- Take a virtual trip to Yosemite National Park and explore like never before. Click here to view the Yosemite National Park Virtual Tour.
- Tour some of the main attractions in Yellowstone National Park with their virtual tours. Click here to view the Yellowstone National Park Virtual Tour.
- Visit the exhibition rooms at the Louvre in Paris with an online tour of the museum. Click here to view the Louvre online tour.
- Check out the dinosaurs at the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History on their exhibit webcams. Click here to view the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History webcams.
Indoor Games and Activities
- Play indoor hopscotch by creating the boxes with painters tape instead of chalk
- Try out new recipes or get creative with classic dishes. Make your own personal pizza at miscellaneous topping night.
- Listen to an astronaut read from space. Storytime From Space is unlike any other kind of storytime; NASA astronauts read stories to kids while they float around in space. Click here to access Storytime From Space.
- Connect with family and friends with a group Facetime or Zoom meeting for a virtual “happy hour” and social time.
- Share quarantine-themed funny playlists with friends to enjoy.
- Many gyms and trainers are transitioning to online classes and waiving fees or offering donation based instruction. Follow along with their livestream services and keep active while indoors.
Support Your Favorite Local RestaurantSupport your favorite Island City eatery by ordering your meal to go without worrying about paying for parking. As a reminder, all parking fees and fines for city metered parking spaces and lots have been suspended until further notice.
Virtual Activities for the Family While Staying at Home
Click to read Corona Virus: Seize the Opportunity by Yisroel Picker Corona Virus: Seize the Opportunity by Yisroel Picker